μTorrent 3.5.0 build 43804reviewed by Pat R. Bugarin (rating: 4.5/5) on
Torrents remain one of the best ways to download large files from the internet. They offer greater advantages than the regular FTP or HTTP downloads as they can be easily interrupted and resumed at will.
Though torrents have gained notoriety for pirated content, they are still used for legitimate downloads. Torrents have now become a popular platform to distribute media even in the film industry.
In order to download torrent files, you would need a BitTorrent client. While there are many torrent clients available in the market, none matches the capabilities of μTorrent.
μTorrent has been around since 2005 and is still one of the most widely used BitTorrent clients across the world. The software is free but does contain some small ads. A paid ad-free version is also available for a yearly subscription.
μTorrent's main appeal is its fast and minimalist design. With a setup of approx. 2MB, it installs ultra-fast on your computer. The user interface of μTorrent is highly intuitive making it usable even for people with no prior experience with torrents. It doesn't even gobble too much of your system resources, typically using less than 6MB of memory.
Despite its small design, μTorrent packs a variety of features and easily configurable download settings. It offers an option to download a number of torrents at the same time, and also allows you to save them at different locations. It offers bandwidth management in the form of speed limits; you can change the download or upload speed limit when required.
Besides downloading, μTorrent can be used for creating new torrent files using any file and folder. The software is available across multiple platforms, including several versions of Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux and Android.
• Small setup file • Offers bandwidth management • Intuitive user interface • Does not consume a lot of system resources
• Unwanted Promotional Software in Installer • Quality multimedia player and instant streaming only available in Pro version • Sponsored advertisements in application
What's new in this version
• Fix a crash that can occur while streaming • Fix a bug causing an ad to pop up in the Ad-free period • Remove mininova from search • Fix a bug that can cause an ad to pop up when a second torrent is added, even for Ad-free users
• Windows 95 users will need to install the Winsock2 Update from Microsoft for uTorrent to work correctly
Aditional features in Pro version
• Stream instantly: Watch your torrents without waiting •
Protect your PC: Keep it safe from viruses and malware •
Convert and Play: Convert your files, play in HD and on the go •
Get Premium access to new features and customer support •
Free of ads, free of interruptions